Prevention is the best way to protect our online systems and devices.
Cyber security should be a priority for all Victorian Government organisations.
Slot gameHere are 7 basic steps you can take to improve your organisation’s cyber security:
- Use strong passwords - avoid using passwords that are easy to guess (for example, Password1 or Winder2019!).
- Enable multi-factor authentication on supported devices and accounts.
- Train staff how to spot and delete ‘phishing’ emails. Do your staff know how to tell a real email from a fake one?
- Keep your software up to date. Are you regularly installing the latest software updates?
- Use anti-virus protection to scan your devices.
- Never let strangers remotely access your devices. Disable remote desktop protocol for devices that don’t require it.
- Backup your files – keep offline backups of your most important files.
The provides useful advice for improving cyber security. You can review their advice here.
Reviewed 12 November 2019